Last Updated: September 29, 2008
Please read the Policy in its entirety. If you use PublicBackgroundChecks.com services or subscribe to offers or emails, you thereby accept the contents of and agree to comply with the Policy. PublicBackgroundChecks.com's reports are not consumer reports, and acceptance of the Policy means you will not use said reports for any purpose protected by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. ¤1681, et seq.).
Please contact us with any questions about PublicBackgroundChecks.com's privacy practices.
1. Information we collect: Users
We may collect personal information, including name and e-mail address, as well as other information not personally identifiable.
- Information provided by you. We may collect, sell, or share any personal information you enter on our web site or provide to us in some other manner, including through e-mail marketing by us, and our partners and affiliates. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information). (Please see "How we protect your personal information", below).
- Information provided by third party sources. Periodically we may acquire - from partners, affiliates or other third parties - personal and/or non-personal information about you. We add it to other information we have collected.
We use various technologies to gather information from your computer and about your activities on our web site.
2. The information and how we use it
- We automatically gather information from your browser when you visit us, including your IP address, browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us (see "Cookies", below), and the referring web site address.
- We may use "cookies" to customize your access to our web site, as well as for delivering targeted ads. A cookie is simply a piece of data stored on your hard drive containing information about you. They allow us to automatically collect information about activity on our site, including what pages you view or what search you buy. Cookies improve your experience at PublicBackgroundChecks.com help target advertisements. Cookiecentral.com is a good site to visit to learn more about this great web surfing tool.
- To format and deliver future ad campaigns, we may use pixel tags (also known as clear gifs) to track what pages people visit and how often. This tells us what is popular and marketable, and we reserve the right to use this information for targeted campaigns or e-mail messages on behalf of our clients. We may share information with our third party marketing partners. Cookie and pixel tag data may be retained indefinitely.
- Other businesses may aid PublicBackgroundChecks.com in bringing retail opportunities to our users or those with whom we partner. These campaigns may utilize any of the above listed tracking technologies to collect data about users viewing or interacting with e-mail marketing materials. To remove oneself, a user can utilize unsubscribe options located at the end of e-mails we send. Unsubscribing is good for the specific campaign, not necessarily all emails that PublicBackgroundChecks.com sends out.
- To get you the services you requested
- To offer customer care and assistance
- To analyze how users access, utilize and navigate our web site
- To communicate with you
- To customize your experience on our web site
- To make sure our terms of service are observed
- To manage company operations
- To render any other necessary operations as part of servicing your account
Financial information. Your credit card information may be used to make any purchases on our web site, for credit card pre-qualification, and various other offers you express interest in. This helps PublicBackgroundChecks.com identify fraudulent charges as well as oversee the operations of our business.
Job applicants. If you apply for a job with PublicBackgroundChecks.com through our web site, we keep your data on file for that use only. We may share it with affiliates and partners, maximizing your opportunity to work with us if you're a good match. We may also use your resume to help analyze the way we advertise our career opportunities. We won't sell your information to anyone.
3. With whom we share your information
PublicBackgroundChecks.com does not share your personal information except as described in the following possible scenarios. That said, we give you an opportunity to opt out of sharing this personal information. Parties with whom we may share data:
- Authorized service providers: They may send direct and electronic mail; help us to delete repetitive data from our user lists or analyze the data we have; provide PublicBackgroundChecks.com with marketing analysis; and support PublicBackgroundChecks.com's functions. As such, we permit these third parties to see and analyze the data, but they aren't allowed to share or sell it.
- Direct mail partners. We may occasionally share our e-mail/postal mailing list with preferred providers of products and services we think you'll find interesting.
- E-mail lists. Use the unsubscribe options available in the e-mails that PublicBackgroundChecks.com sends on behalf of affiliates, partners, etc. You'll need to do this separately for any campaign in which you have no interest.
- Additional Circumstances wherein we may release your information:
- Subpoenas or similar investigative demands, court orders, or requests for cooperation from law enforcement or other government agencies; to exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- The sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy. Your personal information, as provided to us, is considered a company asset that may be included in the assets transferred in the event of a substantial corporate transaction.
- As deemed necessary or appropriate, without limitation, to include sharing your e-mail address with other third-parties for suppression purposes, in compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, as amended from time to time, the Federal Trade Commission's enabling regulations, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. ¤1681 et seq.).
Because the third parties with whom we work have their own specific privacy polices, we strongly encourage you to review them as applicable, as those policies are what will govern the use of your personal information once we provide it to them. These entities or their servers may be located either inside or outside the United States.
Aggregated and non-personal information. PublicBackgroundChecks.com reserves the right to provide aggregate data about our users for lawful purposes. Aggregate (or "group") data is that which describes the demographics, usage, or characteristics of PublicBackgroundChecks.com participants as a group; no personal identifiers are disclosed. Setting up an account with PublicBackgroundChecks.com means you willingly allow us to provide this kind of data to third parties. Agreeing to these terms is your consent to the disclosure of any record or communication to any third party when PublicBackgroundChecks.com, in its sole discretion, determines the disclosure is appropriate.
4. Third-party reporting
Our reports are comprised of proprietary source and third-party supplier data; we cannot edit, modify, or change it. You hereby acknowledge and agree that Public Backgrounds Checks cannot and shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such information.
5. How to access your information
You have the ability to review and update your personal information by way of an online account at http://www.publicBackgroundChecks.com/MyAccount.aspx. You can also contact Customer Care for help.
6. Your choices about collection and use of your information
This data helps us service you better, but you may elect not to disclose it. Furthermore, you can always unsubscribe from elective emails or newsletters we send. We cannot guarantee that we won't receive your email from other third-parties in the future, or that we won't send you other e-mails related to transactions, service announcements, and various other notices (to which you may not unsubscribe). We promise, however, to address as promptly as possible any valid requests to unsubscribe.
7. Protecting your information
Safeguarding your information is paramount, and necessary measures are taken to protect you. We have procedural and technical steps we take to make this happen. We limit who sees your information and for what reasons (business-purposes only). Your personal identifiers and billing info are private and publically available. The physical location of our servers is secure, and we guard against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Currently, we use Secure Socket Layer Software ("SSL") to protect data and to secure any transactions. SSL encrypts information, including credit card numbers, names and addresses as they are transmitted over the Internet. We take every reasonable technological precaution available to protect your data; that said, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot warrant that your information will be completely secure. Any data transmission at or through PublicBackgroundChecks.com is at your own risk.
The Federal Trade Commission's web site (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shtm) has information about identity theft and how to protect yourself.
Payment information collected by PublicBackgroundChecks.com and any partners or affiliates is kept in confidence, not to be shared with any third parties (Exception: consumer credit agencies) without user consent. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PublicBackgroundChecks.com and its affiliates and/or subsidiaries reserve the right to share with third parties the fact that we have credit card information on file for specific users but we will not share the specific credit card information with third parties without the user's prior informed consent.
To have your information remove from our people database, please send a letter to PublicBackgroundChecks.com and include the following:
- First name
- Last name
- Middle initial
- Complete current address
- Complete former addresses going back 20 years
- Date of Birth - including month, day, and year
This information will be kept confidential and is used to ensure complete suppression of your records.
It is also very helpful to include a print out of the records that you wish to have suppressed. We respect your right to privacy and will respond as promptly as possible.
Please send this letter to:
Public Background Checks
305 5th Avenue S, Suite 201
La Crosse, WI 54601
8. No Rights of Third Parties
10. Contact us
1915 21st Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
11. Privacy Rights in California
California residents have the right to request information from us regarding the way we share data. You may inquire about:
- the categories of information we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year;
- the names and addresses of the third parties that received that information; and
- if the nature of the third party's business cannot be determined from their name, examples of the products or services marketed.
We make every effort to promptly respond.
Information Collected and Use
Public Backgrounds is the sole owner of PublicBackgroundChecks.com. We don't sell or rent out our site for use by others.
Contact and billing information (such as a name, email address, credit card information) is collected at registration. This is used to make purchases and contact users.
Cookies are pieces of data that store information on your hard drive about the web sites you visit. Cookies help us know, as you navigate PublicBackgroundsChecks.com, whether or not you are logged in; cookies are not tied to personal identifiers or information. The cookie terminate once leave our site.
PublicBackgroundChecks.com uses sophisticated encryption and firewall technology to protect your personal and billing information, both online and in-house. Furthermore, we restrict employee access to data, uphold strict procedural standards for desktop security, and maintain a physically secure location for our servers.